700 g whiting or snapper
1/4 cup rice flour, for dusting
1/2 cup rice flour
3 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp Mexican Seasoning
1 cup beer
- Pat the fish dry using paper towels or a tea towel and cut into medium size batons.
- Place ¼ cup rice flour in a shallow bowl, sprinkle fish with salt and coat the each piece of fish in rice flour—shake off any excess and set aside.
- Heat a deep fat fryer on a high setting.
- While the oil is heating, sprinkle 3 or 4 pieces of fish with a pinch of salt, then coat in rice flour and shake off excess.
- Whisk together the flour, rice flour, baking powder, seasoning and salt—incorporate the beer into the batter and whisk. Do not over-mix, it should be a thin consistency and not too thick.
- Dunk a piece of fish in the batter, the let the excess drip off before lowering it carefully lower into the fryer (drop the fish away from you) one piece at a time—don't crowd the fryer.
- Fry for 3 minutes or until the fish float to the top.
- Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining fish.
- Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon and our Green Chilli Jam.