2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
500 g beef mince
1 cup milk
2 slices of crustless white bread
200 ml Spiced Pear Chutney
½ tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 large egg
1 pinch salt
1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Grease 10 cm deep baking dish.
- Preheat the oil in a large pan on a medium high heat.
- Cook the onions until translucent.
- Add the mince, break down and cook until brown.
Place the milk in a bowl and soak the bread in the milk. Squeeze the excess milk from the bread and set the milk aside.
- Add the bread to the mince mixture.
- Combine the chutney, curry powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour.
While the Bobotie bakes, whisk together the milk, egg, and a pinch of salt.
- Pour over top of the dish and place the bay leaf on tope of the milk.
Put the Bobotie back in the oven until the top is golden brown
- Slice and serve.